Orange Grove's Augustus McCravey Health Care Clinic offers a full service primary care clinic that provides treatment utilizing the Patient-Centered Medical Home model to any adult who chooses to make the clinic his or her primary care home. Staff, individuals in Orange Grove programs, and people in the community who choose the clinic for their primary care needs rely on professional, courteous care, as well as relationships with specialists in the community whenever referrals are necessary.
All services and procedures are rendered by professionals attuned to the cognitive, social, emotional, and behavioral nuances of individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities.
Phone: (423) 493-2905
Fax: (423) 493-2950
Email: [email protected]
DIRECTOR OF HEALTH CARE SERVICES - DR. ROBERT BOEHM
"You're not healthy without good oral health."
The Dental Clinic is one-of-a-kind in our community. Our dentist, assistants, and hygienists see some patients who travel more than three hours for dental/oral care. The Clinic is a full-service dental clinic and has features not usually seen in other dental offices: flat screen TVs mounted to the ceiling, a Ms. Pac-Man game console, and a jukebox - whatever it takes to get patients to be comfortable and willing to open wide. All services in the clinic are done without the need for sedation. More involved dental procedures requiring sedation can be performed by our team, who is credentialed at a local ambulatory surgery center. As part of Orange Grove's effort to expand the curricula for clinical education programs to include units of study regarding patients with IDD, the Clinic partners with the University of Tennessee, Memphis and Chattanooga State Community College. Every fourth-year dental student from UT spends one full day at the Orange Grove clinic, and Chattanooga State dental hygiene students do rotations at Orange Grove during their second year of study--to begin learning what is involved in supporting the clinical needs of individuals with IDD.
The Orange Grove Speech Therapy department consists of three staff members who provide services in the areas of:
- Evaluation of speech, language, swallowing and cognitive communication functioning
- Individual and group therapy to improve cognition, communication and swallowing disorders
- Assessments for augmentative and alternative communication methods and devices
- Coordinated care with other health care professionals, including primary care providers, audiologists, occupational therapists and physical therapists
- Training and support for families, caregivers, and staff who provide patient care
The ultimate goal of Orange Grove's Behavior Services Department is to reduce maladaptive behaviors in order to increase independence and level of functioning so that the individuals can enjoy the maximum benefit from programs and services.
- Perform functional behavior assessments
- Design behavior support plans
- Train and monitors staff in the implementation of the support plan
- Collect data
- Conduct discrete trial training
- Assist individuals in learning and coping and communication skills
Due to COVID-19 and the existing caseload, the Speech Therapy department is not currently accepting outside patients, and is primarily doing teletherapy services only.
Missy Lewis or Bambi Troxell
Amy Jo Schamens
Phone: (423) 493-2938
Email: [email protected]